Recent comments

• No One's Coming to Dinner   9 years 19 weeks ago

wow, too bad! i'd just like to point out that shows that address class differences, like "the simple life" (even the title makes me gag) have either failed to make their point, or their audiences have failed to see the point, which is the same thing.i loved "the simple life" when i first saw it, because it seemed to me that paris and nicole were shown up, week after week, in all their shallowness and ignorance, and the stoic family and community they descended upon got to tear into them every once in a while while america cheered.but america didn't laugh at them; apparently america laughed with them, all the way through the tabloid frenzy that followed and all sorts of spin-off money-makers like paris' "movie", to the bank. does anyone even remember the name of the first family they stayed with, or even how many members it had?ultimately, the idea that the american working class is composed of salt-of-the-earth, unsophisticated, simple people who are all interchangeable and who provide the quaint backdrop for rich people at play, was furthered.i wonder, if "the simple life" had provided working class characters stronger than paris and nicole, would it have even aired?

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   9 years 19 weeks ago

Tommy, keep in mind this is a blog entry. My blog entry. My opinion. You have your thoughts and opinions; I have my thoughts and opinions. If you don't agree with my thoughts and opnions, that's fine with me. We're both free to express them.

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   9 years 19 weeks ago

I think people are taking this too far, and I'm a bit disappointed to see such a biased attitude from a magazine.Surely people should be aware of who he is, and what he did. But don't castrate him for trying to earn a living, and supplying food on the table for his family.

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   9 years 20 weeks ago

This is outrageous. Something we should organize a demonstration about, for sure. For what did people mobilize and get angry about in New York, only for him to be gainfully employed here? Let's make sure they know we're watching, and we're PISSED.

• Hapa Washingtonienne   9 years 20 weeks ago

Don't dis our sista. My wife and I read her book and we liked it! And it got a good review in the NY Times. Calling her a disgusting ho doesn't change that. If she's a ho, she's a ho who can write. Unlike you.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 20 weeks ago

"Jeb" You are a moron, plain and simple. I hate to start off with an attack like that, but implying I'm a "whiney Asian man" really shows your ignorance or your racist agenda. I doubt I will respond to any of your future comments. Just so you know, in the vast majority of mainstream TV, film, print, and radio content, Asians have been set up to look ridiculous (or invisible). I guess your theory of "it's just satire and parody" is out the window. You whine, "all day long I deal with reverse racism because I am white." - let me guess, the yellow man (and the black man, and the brown man) keeps you down, right? Keep thinking that, wallowing in self-pity and see how far it gets you. I take solace in knowing that the rewards that I enjoy are benefits of my hard work and dedication and not some "meal ticket".Parody. It's such a funny word.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   9 years 20 weeks ago

He's been a bigoted asshole for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's made similar remarks about other minority women.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   9 years 20 weeks ago

Oh, you have to love the explanatory e-mail send out explaining his absence: "Michael is sick." Yes, yes he is.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   9 years 20 weeks ago

If Mailer was criticzing a Jewish book reviewer named Miriam Kirschbaum, would he have labelled her a one-woman kike kritic; or if she was Mary Kennedy, Irish, would he have called her a one-woman Irish witch; or if she was black, would he have called her a one-man nigger critic; or if she was German named Mirelle Katrina, would have called her a one-woman kraut bitch?Why can he get away with call MK a one-woman kamikaze? He should lose his license to practice public utterances. A sad sick man.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   9 years 20 weeks ago

http://kakutani101.blogspot.cominteresting background info on Ms. Kakutani from 1997 blog, if you can believe it. Really. Updated, but the original 1997 blog here.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   9 years 20 weeks ago

Oops, he did it again. Jewish-American novelist Norman Mailer, agrumpy old fart at 82, takes a swipe at Japanese-American literarycritic Michiko Kakutani in a magazine interview recently. [PHOTOS OFBOTH HERE: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/323790p-276748c.html]Kakutani, 50 and the daughter of a retired Yale maths professor whocame up with the "fixed point theorem," is a Yale graduate and hasbeen a book reviewer for the New York Times for over 25 years, evenwinning a Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 1998. In the interview,Mailer, whose books have often been dismissed by Kakutani, usesseveral terribly racist and politically vulgar (PV) terms, calling the Timesreporter a "one-woman kamikaze" [divine wind suicide bomber] and an "Asiatic, a feminist," who isa "token" minority hire at the august national newspaper. So just who isMichiko Kakutani? Click here [http://kakutani101.blogspot.com] and readan informal, gossipy blogsite about her.Note: I was shocked, shocked to read about Norman Mailer's feud with MichikoKakutani. Whatever reasons Mailer might have to feel abused by hercritical powers at the Times (and he does seem to have some goodreasons), Mailer should not have singled out ethnic background, of allthings, as part of his criticism. Kakutani is not "Asiatic." She, aJapanese-American, is just as "American" as he, a Jewish-American, is.Shame on you, Norman, for having a go at the race card. You losethere.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   9 years 20 weeks ago

jesus. did anyone test the sicko for sexually transmitted diseases before determining that this was a "fourth degree crime," not deserving of imprisonment? there are speeding tickets that cost more than $125.

• MTV Generation   9 years 21 weeks ago

MTV is also launching a new network called Logo, targeted at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender viewers.Story in the NYTimes here.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   9 years 21 weeks ago

i have no suggestions that don't involve nasty chemicals, but you should know that windex, or generic glass cleaner, is nice 'n' toxic but doesn't stink up the place - and is cheaper than raid. get the landlord to bring in an exterminator, then spritz any scout you see with windex. will die pretty much on the spot and not be able to return to base and report on rave haven in your house.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   9 years 21 weeks ago

I've often been one of only a handful of minorities in a newsroom. And usually, I was the only Asian American. Having so few people of color in a newsroom does perpetuate a lack of news coverage of minority communities, and the general invisibility of people of color in the media. I'm not saying that white people can't cover stories that are in minority communities. Any reporter can cover stories well if they take the time to learn about the subject, do the research, and immerse themselves into the community. (And by community, I don't mean just ethnic communities, but subcultures too like people who are into cosplay, or who are obsessed about electric cars, or whatever.) But oftentimes, stories don't even land on the radar because people don't know where to look in the first place or lack an awareness of the culture and issues.Of course as a reporter, I don't want to be pigeonholed to covering just my own community either. You know what I really hate about being the only Asian American in a newsroom? Co-workers coming up to you and asking you some random question they think you should know the answer to because you're Asian. Like questions about China or what the educational system is like in Japan. I've never even been to Japan, OK?

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

Phil (and Cletus), I can definitely understand your point and I will happily cede this debate to you. I'd like to thank you for engaging me in this well spoken discussion that will (hopefully!) make people ponder the subject matter - from both points of view."Anonymous" You are a moron, plain and simple. I hate to start off with an attack like that, but implying I'm a "whiney white man" really shows your ignorance or your racist agenda. I doubt I will respond to any of your future comments. Just so you know, in two of the commercials that I've seen, the "mark" was a white suburbanite - guess your theory is out the window. "So no $$ stop in black-biege-brown town" - let me guess, the man keeps you down, right? Keep thinking that, wallowing in self-pity and see how far it gets you. I take solace in knowing that the rewards that I enjoy are benefits of my hard work and dedication and not some "meal ticket".

• Racist Radio DJs (Redux)   9 years 21 weeks ago

china is not power.Russia are great.Russian killed 3.8 Million Nazi soldiers, took 3 million Nazi soldiers as POWS, yes, German took 3.2 million Russian POWs - this is the half truth told in lot of places,Russian finished 800,000 Japanese soldiers too. (killed 200,000, and took 600,000 pows)How about china,. 40 million Chinese were killed by Japanese in WWII they only killed 410,000 Japanese soldiers.how about England, they lost 3 wars to Japan - HK, Singapore and Malay.There were four wars between Russia and Japan, Russia won 2 times, Japan lost more soldiers in all those four battles.American also lost in Filipin once to Japan, how is that.

• Racist Radio DJs (Redux)   9 years 21 weeks ago

white people are not smart.that's why Mongolian could treat them like ******s.Black do not make machines,Asian do not invent machines,White people are not smart at two other things, I won’t speak out. Because I do not l*** them.History will repeat.

• Eat More Fish   9 years 21 weeks ago

ok ok, im crazy. i think cooking and eating is a pain. but i DID try the now famous hyphen halibut. and yes, it was grrreat. im ready for recipe #2.i thought sea bass was okay to eat. its the chilean sea bass (which is actually not a sea bass but a patagonian toothfish) that is being fished into extinction. no?

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

one thing that hasn't been mentioned (though possibly alluded to via quotation marks) is that the posers seemed to feel that the only way to communicate with the Black consumer is to play that tired hip-hop\street rep B.S. and that Blacks are (potentially) easy 'sells' if you coat a garbage product in pseudo keepin-it-real-ism.if T-Mobile had wanted to be demographically correct, they would have made the 'mark' (potential customer) a white guy from suburbia.the insults created by frontin' the poser characters as something that they are not is bad. especially crappy accents which reinforce their 'other-ness'. why not have the white guy say 'aye laddie' and take a swig of whiskey, suck down a spicy meat-a-ball-a or wave a falafel around?but consider this, at least the Asian, Latino and White guys have enough savvy to (try to) hustle a business, even if it is built on BS. apparently they were not willing to try to sell that crap to white, latino or asian consumers. by having no black 'poser' it could be read that blacks lack the where-with-all to 'run' a business. furtehrmore, who is it that has to buy the PAYG phone 'cause they don't have enough 'gap' to cover the monthly? i'l be that ad isn't running during the US Masters but is on Yo MTV Raps!at least, for once, they let the Black character make a decision based on rational thought and not 'image'. However, in the end, his 'rational thought' leads him to buy his stuff from the 'other' man rather than the 'brother' man - even step-brother. so no $$ stop in black-biege-brown town. net result - 'same as it ever was'.isn't ice all supposed to be the same temperature?as for Jeb, if I had a dollar for every whiney white man that claims 'reverse discrimination' i would be a millionaire. if i had $10 for every white man who has acutally been harmed by reverse discrimination i still couldn't cover cheng's 25 cent charge.Give that horse a rest. Puh-llleeeeeaaasssse!as an aside - check out the book 'White' by Richard Dyer. interesting reading. almost everything he says in the first 80 pages is in this commercial.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

Wow, Jeb, thanks for showing all of your cards.Nice post, Cletus.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

"It's you're own mindset that makes you paranoid and allows you to "see" all of this stereotyping and racism."And "Jeb," it's your preconceived notions that may allow you to overlook this bigotry.In the US we live in a community that is comprised of laws and socialization that are heavily (if not primarily) underwritten by over 250 years of White privilege, for the de facto (and sometimes intentional) benefit of members of such group. So for many of "us" it is difficult to see where the subtle gourd of racism chooses to rear itself.Not a big deal if you're of the group that creates and enforces the rules, but if one is not of that group it's a song of a different color no pun intended. However, for others it is a bit easier to see/be sensitive to it due to different frames of reference; upbringing, education, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.You may take the reactions of some people who have posted here purporting to have sent letters to PR and marketing divisions of T-Mobile to be extreme, and within certain contexts you may be correct. But without such vigilance, often times companies and ad agencies will act in an absent-minded manner (at the very least) or amorally (at the other end of the spectrum) if they go unchecked.Perhaps what they set out to do was create free publicity/discourse between people with differing opinions? In which case they have succeeded with all of "our" (yours and mine) assistance.I too wish everyone could get along in a Rodney King post LA Riots fashion. But until situations such as the advertisement in question are seen for what they subconsciously may signify to both the creators and viewers, that's not going to happen.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

jeb, i think you pretty much said it all there.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

Its a commercial - it in no way says "Asian people are poser's". I also find it a little unnerving that you seem to find it okay to have a white "poser" but not an asian "poser". You say they leave a black person out of the group because the posers are trying to "act black". Imagine if a black person were in with the other minorities, then you'd probably say they were racist for only having minorities in the "poser mobile" clique. It's you're own mindset that makes you paranoid and allows you to "see" all of this stereotyping and racism. When I saw that commerical I never thought for once about how I'm better than those "poser mobile" guys, or how pathetic they were. I saw a funny advertisement. You say that writing letters and complaining to get get change isn't censorship. If you complain, probably with threats of boycotts from groups of people, you are effectively limiting what the company uses in advertising campaigns. Its not exactly censorship, but its damn close. Its akin to saying "you can print whatever you'd like, but if it offends me I'll kill you". If that threat is believed to be truthful odds are that the printed article will not represent what the writer actually wants to write, but more so what a specific person or group of persons want to hear.I never said that discussing the "issues" that you have are a waste of time. I don't feel that I'm wasting my time by pointing out how childish (imo) your quest against a T-Mobile commercial is.Just out of curiosity do you find the movie "Kung Pao: Enter the Fist" to be offensive? How about movies like "Big Trouble in Little China". In that movie you see most of the asian people are bad guys, supporting the demonic leader Lo Pan, in his quest to rule the universe from beyond the grave! Now we all know that most Chinese people aren't sorcerers using black magic for evil, but thats how the movie portrays it.Relax, all day long I deal with reverse racism because I am white. No one is afraid of firing a white man because how can that be racism? Last time I checked there were no quota's on how many white people you need to have employed for affirmative action or to get that special tax break. If I score the same as a minority on an entrance exam, most universities will take the minority over me. You see how everyone deals with real racism? Let satire and parody exist as just that. Forget about the "stereo-types" that normal people don't see.I wish everyone saw things like I do. I see a group of people who should be able to get along. You apparently see races, different races that are out to keep you down. You even stated that you are an advocate for "your community", I'm assuming you mean people of Asian descent and definitely not your non-asian neighbors (because in a racist world you see "us" and "them" - if you didn't see things that way I don't think that commercial would have been a big deal)Please join me in being a man (or woman), plain and simple.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   9 years 21 weeks ago

Please don't feed the trolls.

The R/Evolution Issue

We're talkin' 'bout a revolution! Our latest issue features key revolutionaries Grace Lee Boggs and Yuri Kochiyama, along with grassroots movements happening today.

DONATE & GET YOUR COPY