Recent comments

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   8 years 40 weeks ago

The Asian Law Caucus is circulating an online petition against Delgado's hiring.

• What's in a Name?   8 years 40 weeks ago

I don't think the fact that this story isn't about government corruption should affect the question at hand: should the reporter be compelled by law to give up the source? I've written stories not involving corruption or whistle blowing with anonymous sources. True, this is not the most noble case of protecting a source, but we shouldn't begin to qualify. (If it's this kind of story... then this is OK, if its' that kind of story, that's not OK.)Do I want to see Karl Rove taken down? Yes. Am I happy about the fact that the reports in questions were cheerleaders of Whitehouse PR? Nope.But I am afraid of what will happen to the profession should it be OK to jail reporters, even in a questionable case like this, if access to a source is refused.

• Asian American feared dead in London bombings   8 years 40 weeks ago

Mike Matsushita left the US for Australia in February 2001, BEFORE the 911 attacks. I am a friend of his I know this as a fact. I moved back to NYC in April 2001 and he had already moved to Australia.

• Asian American feared dead in London bombings   8 years 40 weeks ago

I read about him in a local newspaper when I was at Costa coffee in London last week. IIRC, he was a second generation Japanese American, lived in NYC and had a career in finance. Moved to Vietnam to be a tour guide after escaping 9/11. Met his fiancee, who was a Londoner, in Vietnam. Moved to London, and worked as a tour guide in London. They had planned to move away from London as they thought it was too dangerous.

• What's in a Name?   8 years 40 weeks ago

Oops. I'd like to make some corrections to my last post: My second last paragraph contained an unforgivable number of mistakes. Here it is again, hopefully a little more coherent (such as it is):...Altogether, I am inclined to suspect that much less noble ideas are motivating Judith Miller's decision to go to jail. She's afraid of the consequences of "biting the hand that feeds her." Am I the only one who can imagine that she has weighed the pros and cons and realized that, for a few months of soft jail time, she'll get to purge herself of her earlier sins, join journalism's pantheon of mythical heroes, get a six figure book (and film) deal, and grab one of those coveted public policy/democratic media fellowships (e.g., Harvard or Columbia), all the while giving one more demonstration of loyalty to the Rove administration?

• What's in a Name?   8 years 40 weeks ago

I hate to quibble (especially with Melissa for whom I have tremendous respect), but I think this case is a little more complicated than the New York Times (and Time magazine) would like us to believe.While most thoughtful people strongly support the general idea of a free press, the specifics of Judith Miller's situation suggest that we should look elsewhere for a champion.For example, for the story in question, we are not talking about an expose into government or corporate corruption. We are talking about (suspected) vicious "payback" from Karl Rove. Growing evidence points to the leak about Valerie Plame as retaliation/disciplining/muffling of former ambassador Joseph Wilson who had persuasively discounted the Bush administration's WMD "case" against Iraq. The reporters in question had been enthusiastic cheerleaders and participants of the Whitehouse PR machinery.While Judith Miller had not, in fact, published the article after receiving the same "leak," she is far from innocent. It may have escaped public memory by now, but she was one of the most important (if not the most important) partners in the Bush administration's PR campaign. Miller was the one who had mysteriously received a timely "leak" about "evidence" of aluminum tubes, for example, and had trumpeted it as unquestionable fact.Yet another thing to consider is that the principle of "free speech" has never been an automatic, blanket shield extending to the confidentiality of sources for any profession, including journalism. As has been pointed out by some (across the political spectrum), a journalist who participates in the committing of a crime is not above the law. It is arguable that exposing an American agent is a national security crime. Of course, it remains to be seen whether the unveiling of a CIA operative will be dutifully prosecuted as a crime (probably contingent on the degree of interference by the Bush administration).Altogether, I am inclined to suspect much less noble ideas motivating Judith Miller's decision to go to jail. She's afraid of the consequences of "biting the hand that feeds her." Am I the only one who can imagine that she has weighed the pros and cons and realized that for a few months of soft jail time, she'll have herself of her earlier sins, joined journalism's pantheon of mythical heroes, get a six figure book (and film) deal, grab one of those coveted public policy/democratic media fellowships (e.g., Harvard or Columbia), all the while giving one more demonstration of loyalty to the Rove administration.I think we need to balance our support of abstract ideals with our support of justice and ethics (beyond "journalistic ethics). Are we willing to extend this blind protection to the racist hacks in the New York Times who had aggressively and knowingly used flimsy "leaks" from shady sources to unjustly accuse (and convict) Wen Ho Lee of being a Chinese spy?

• No One's Coming to Dinner   8 years 41 weeks ago

One more thing --I didn't mean to imply that the white people on the show hated it, just that other conservative whites, like the Family Research Council, hated the show. Don't want to mislead.

• No One's Coming to Dinner   8 years 41 weeks ago

wow, too bad! i'd just like to point out that shows that address class differences, like "the simple life" (even the title makes me gag) have either failed to make their point, or their audiences have failed to see the point, which is the same thing.i loved "the simple life" when i first saw it, because it seemed to me that paris and nicole were shown up, week after week, in all their shallowness and ignorance, and the stoic family and community they descended upon got to tear into them every once in a while while america cheered.but america didn't laugh at them; apparently america laughed with them, all the way through the tabloid frenzy that followed and all sorts of spin-off money-makers like paris' "movie", to the bank. does anyone even remember the name of the first family they stayed with, or even how many members it had?ultimately, the idea that the american working class is composed of salt-of-the-earth, unsophisticated, simple people who are all interchangeable and who provide the quaint backdrop for rich people at play, was furthered.i wonder, if "the simple life" had provided working class characters stronger than paris and nicole, would it have even aired?

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   8 years 41 weeks ago

Tommy, keep in mind this is a blog entry. My blog entry. My opinion. You have your thoughts and opinions; I have my thoughts and opinions. If you don't agree with my thoughts and opnions, that's fine with me. We're both free to express them.

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   8 years 41 weeks ago

I think people are taking this too far, and I'm a bit disappointed to see such a biased attitude from a magazine.Surely people should be aware of who he is, and what he did. But don't castrate him for trying to earn a living, and supplying food on the table for his family.

• Tsunami Song Producer Coming To San Francisco   8 years 41 weeks ago

This is outrageous. Something we should organize a demonstration about, for sure. For what did people mobilize and get angry about in New York, only for him to be gainfully employed here? Let's make sure they know we're watching, and we're PISSED.

• Hapa Washingtonienne   8 years 42 weeks ago

Don't dis our sista. My wife and I read her book and we liked it! And it got a good review in the NY Times. Calling her a disgusting ho doesn't change that. If she's a ho, she's a ho who can write. Unlike you.

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   8 years 42 weeks ago

"Jeb" You are a moron, plain and simple. I hate to start off with an attack like that, but implying I'm a "whiney Asian man" really shows your ignorance or your racist agenda. I doubt I will respond to any of your future comments. Just so you know, in the vast majority of mainstream TV, film, print, and radio content, Asians have been set up to look ridiculous (or invisible). I guess your theory of "it's just satire and parody" is out the window. You whine, "all day long I deal with reverse racism because I am white." - let me guess, the yellow man (and the black man, and the brown man) keeps you down, right? Keep thinking that, wallowing in self-pity and see how far it gets you. I take solace in knowing that the rewards that I enjoy are benefits of my hard work and dedication and not some "meal ticket".Parody. It's such a funny word.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   8 years 42 weeks ago

He's been a bigoted asshole for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's made similar remarks about other minority women.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   8 years 42 weeks ago

Oh, you have to love the explanatory e-mail send out explaining his absence: "Michael is sick." Yes, yes he is.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   8 years 42 weeks ago

If Mailer was criticzing a Jewish book reviewer named Miriam Kirschbaum, would he have labelled her a one-woman kike kritic; or if she was Mary Kennedy, Irish, would he have called her a one-woman Irish witch; or if she was black, would he have called her a one-man nigger critic; or if she was German named Mirelle Katrina, would have called her a one-woman kraut bitch?Why can he get away with call MK a one-woman kamikaze? He should lose his license to practice public utterances. A sad sick man.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   8 years 42 weeks ago

http://kakutani101.blogspot.cominteresting background info on Ms. Kakutani from 1997 blog, if you can believe it. Really. Updated, but the original 1997 blog here.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   8 years 42 weeks ago

Oops, he did it again. Jewish-American novelist Norman Mailer, agrumpy old fart at 82, takes a swipe at Japanese-American literarycritic Michiko Kakutani in a magazine interview recently. [PHOTOS OFBOTH HERE: http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/323790p-276748c.html]Kakutani, 50 and the daughter of a retired Yale maths professor whocame up with the "fixed point theorem," is a Yale graduate and hasbeen a book reviewer for the New York Times for over 25 years, evenwinning a Pulitzer Prize for criticism in 1998. In the interview,Mailer, whose books have often been dismissed by Kakutani, usesseveral terribly racist and politically vulgar (PV) terms, calling the Timesreporter a "one-woman kamikaze" [divine wind suicide bomber] and an "Asiatic, a feminist," who isa "token" minority hire at the august national newspaper. So just who isMichiko Kakutani? Click here [http://kakutani101.blogspot.com] and readan informal, gossipy blogsite about her.Note: I was shocked, shocked to read about Norman Mailer's feud with MichikoKakutani. Whatever reasons Mailer might have to feel abused by hercritical powers at the Times (and he does seem to have some goodreasons), Mailer should not have singled out ethnic background, of allthings, as part of his criticism. Kakutani is not "Asiatic." She, aJapanese-American, is just as "American" as he, a Jewish-American, is.Shame on you, Norman, for having a go at the race card. You losethere.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   8 years 42 weeks ago

jesus. did anyone test the sicko for sexually transmitted diseases before determining that this was a "fourth degree crime," not deserving of imprisonment? there are speeding tickets that cost more than $125.

• MTV Generation   8 years 42 weeks ago

MTV is also launching a new network called Logo, targeted at lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender viewers.Story in the NYTimes here.

• Princeton Sicko Update & an Ant Invasion   8 years 42 weeks ago

i have no suggestions that don't involve nasty chemicals, but you should know that windex, or generic glass cleaner, is nice 'n' toxic but doesn't stink up the place - and is cheaper than raid. get the landlord to bring in an exterminator, then spritz any scout you see with windex. will die pretty much on the spot and not be able to return to base and report on rave haven in your house.

• Norman Mailer Plays the Race Card   8 years 42 weeks ago

I've often been one of only a handful of minorities in a newsroom. And usually, I was the only Asian American. Having so few people of color in a newsroom does perpetuate a lack of news coverage of minority communities, and the general invisibility of people of color in the media. I'm not saying that white people can't cover stories that are in minority communities. Any reporter can cover stories well if they take the time to learn about the subject, do the research, and immerse themselves into the community. (And by community, I don't mean just ethnic communities, but subcultures too like people who are into cosplay, or who are obsessed about electric cars, or whatever.) But oftentimes, stories don't even land on the radar because people don't know where to look in the first place or lack an awareness of the culture and issues.Of course as a reporter, I don't want to be pigeonholed to covering just my own community either. You know what I really hate about being the only Asian American in a newsroom? Co-workers coming up to you and asking you some random question they think you should know the answer to because you're Asian. Like questions about China or what the educational system is like in Japan. I've never even been to Japan, OK?

• The "T" in "T-Mobile" is for WTF?   8 years 42 weeks ago

Phil (and Cletus), I can definitely understand your point and I will happily cede this debate to you. I'd like to thank you for engaging me in this well spoken discussion that will (hopefully!) make people ponder the subject matter - from both points of view."Anonymous" You are a moron, plain and simple. I hate to start off with an attack like that, but implying I'm a "whiney white man" really shows your ignorance or your racist agenda. I doubt I will respond to any of your future comments. Just so you know, in two of the commercials that I've seen, the "mark" was a white suburbanite - guess your theory is out the window. "So no $$ stop in black-biege-brown town" - let me guess, the man keeps you down, right? Keep thinking that, wallowing in self-pity and see how far it gets you. I take solace in knowing that the rewards that I enjoy are benefits of my hard work and dedication and not some "meal ticket".

• Racist Radio DJs (Redux)   8 years 42 weeks ago

china is not power.Russia are great.Russian killed 3.8 Million Nazi soldiers, took 3 million Nazi soldiers as POWS, yes, German took 3.2 million Russian POWs - this is the half truth told in lot of places,Russian finished 800,000 Japanese soldiers too. (killed 200,000, and took 600,000 pows)How about china,. 40 million Chinese were killed by Japanese in WWII they only killed 410,000 Japanese soldiers.how about England, they lost 3 wars to Japan - HK, Singapore and Malay.There were four wars between Russia and Japan, Russia won 2 times, Japan lost more soldiers in all those four battles.American also lost in Filipin once to Japan, how is that.

• Racist Radio DJs (Redux)   8 years 42 weeks ago

white people are not smart.that's why Mongolian could treat them like ******s.Black do not make machines,Asian do not invent machines,White people are not smart at two other things, I won’t speak out. Because I do not l*** them.History will repeat.