LGBTQ Section - Managing Editor
Application Deadline: December 20th (open until position is filled)
Seeking a talented and detailed oriented person with strong writing and editorial skills for the LGBTQ Managing editor position. You’ll work directly with the LGBTQ Editor and other senior editors from Hyphen print and blog departments to ensure that LGBTQ voices and stories are regularly written and posted online. This section is the first dedicated LGBTQ section in a national Asian/AAPI media outlet.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape conversations around the LGBTQ AAPI community and reach a wide national audience.
The LGBTQ Managing Editor is responsible for the day-to-day operations and workflow and will have opportunities to contribute to short and long-term strategies for this section. You’ll do outreach to get story pitches, foster relationships with existing contacts and be actively involved in developing this aspect of Hyphen.
This position is open to applicants working anywhere in the U.S. as long as they’re able to work with Hyphen staffers mostly based on Pacific Standard Time
- Recruit and train new section writers and editors
- Work closely with writers to ensure their stories align with the “Hyphen voice”
- Supervise development of story ideas and article pitches
- Perform edits for features, articles, profiles, and interviews and adhere to the Hyphen style guide
- Write timely articles and/or pitch stories of your own
- Represent and think about how the LGBTQ section can help Hyphen grow in short- and long-term plans
- Perform other editorial duties as needed.
- Assist with writing and editing of marketing materials related to the LGBTQ section
- Reply to emails at least every other day
- Can work an average of 4-8 hours a week or 16-32 hours a month, depending on the workload
- Google Apps
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Can pick up new programs and applications easily. Hyphen’s website is run on Drupal, training is provided, applicant must be comfortable navigating through a lot of steps to post stories
- Deadline obsessed
- Proven editing and professional journalism experience
- Basic copy editing skills (Knowledge of AP Style a plus)
- Solid experience in duties outlined above
- Mind-blowing verbal & writing skills
- Passion for learning and desire to support Hyphen’s growth
- Cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples
- Submit via email to mia.nakano [at] hyphenmagazine.com (Subject Line: LGBTQ Managing Editor Application)