- We begin with the Detroit Free Press telling of rising anti-foreign-car-buying sentiment in Michigan. Again. By the way, I embedded the New Twilight Zone episode above, "Wong's Lost and Found Emporium," from a story by sci-fi writer William F. Wu, because the reason Wong gives for losing his compassion is the Vincent Chin acquittal. Just sayin'.
- By the way, in case you were wondering, Japan isn't bailing out its auto industry ... yet. Gov't bigwig quote: "We regard the auto industry as very independent from the government.... A company like Toyota has accumulated some cash and should be able to survive." Ouch.
- The AP has picked up on the national Asian American political triumph
of the last election, particularly David Chiu being elected San Francisco Board of
Supes Prez. There's a bit of an Asian American Studies 101 aspect here,
but there are also relevant stats. Have at it.
- Asian-bama count continues ... Korean American Christopher Jin-young
Kang was named 'Bama's special assistant for legislative affairs. His
dad was in the Bush II administration. Working both sides of
moral divideaisle, eh? Well, anyway, he looks like a fine young man.
- On the eve of 'Bamaness, Portland discovers how white it is. The whole world mourns together. (By the way, if you want a belly laugh like I got, click through the link to see the photo. No, this is not an Onion article.)
- Meanwhile, Philly has had a rash of robberies targeting Asian American small business owners. The perpetrators are following them home -- in the apparent belief that Asian American store owners don't use banks -- and robbing them there. There have been at least 15 cases in the last three months, one of which ended in a Korean American businessman being stabbed to death on his driveway. The police are asking the community for help and promising that no one will be deported. Charging perpetrators with hate crimes is on the table.
- Santa Ana's Vietnamese American Arts & Letters Association had to shut down an art exhibition featuring a photograph of a woman with a yellow star on her shirt seated next to an image of Ho Chi Minh after anti-commie Vietnamese Americans defaced the photograph and demonstrated. 'Cause in Da Twilight Zone, immigrant refugees have every reason to act like Republicans! In response to the protest by the mostly elderly traumatized survivors of a horrible civil war, some Asian American studies professor said, ""Right now, we live in fear because these people threaten our families and destroy our work and take away our freedoms." 'Cause in Da Twilight Zone, university professors are oppressed by traumatized immigrant refugees!
- He's not even in orifice yet, and those pootheads on the right are already being nasty. The right's Asian sock puppet (no, I'm not going to mention her name. You know who I mean.) said some mean things about the left like "Jan. 20
has turned into a schlock inauguration, (where) every last moocher has
come to cash in on Obama ... There are some of us
who want to bang our heads against the wall.”
Hey! There are some of us who want to bang her head against the wall, too! I guess 'Bama was right: we DO have common cause! Meanwhile, Bobby Jindal proves himself the 'Bama of the east at the Republican Governors Association meeting by admitting that we fired the Repugs for a reason. Durn tootin', Bobby.