Yes, she's Viet Am. Yes, she's ten. Yes, her Tiger Mom probably beats her to keep her practicing. What, you thot this kind of skill came at no price?
Other Tiger Mom products, perhaps not Billie-Jean-worthy:
- The Emperor of All Maladies has won the Pulitzer. Suck it, NOT mothers of Siddartha Mukherjee!
- Likewise, a KoreAm reporter, for local reporting. These two, on top of the Chi Am composer who just won, really make me feel like Amy Chua has an argument.
- A KoreAm businessman's plan to bring North Korean beer to the US may be foiled by Executive Order 13570. I don't know how to feel about this, but I'm sure his mom does.
- Ai ya! A bill has been introduced to the Cali Assembly banning the sale of shark's fins in California. Paul Fong co-sponsored it, but Leland Yee is crying fow-rrr, calling the bill "an attack on Asian culture." Dayum, Asia has a single, identifiable culture based on shark's fin soup? My mom will beat me for not knowing that.
- WTF? Apparently, health providers are still asking multiracials to identify themselves with only one race. In what way, exactly, is that going to help them provide better care? According to this new study, it doesn't. I coulda told you that. But then, my mother beats me if I can't recite the entirety of the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine before dinner.
- Not fair! New Yorkers get everything else! Why are they getting free Korean food, too? You can see the difference in mothering techniques between the children providing the free food, and the children consuming it!
- An interesting article about As Am immigration and enclave-building in Detroit. One quibble, tho': the 1982 Vincent Chin murder did not launch the Asian American Movement! It just galvanized local Asian Americans in Detroit ... and gave them an excuse not to study.
- An update on the situation of Viet Am Gulf fishermen, who constitute up to a third of all licensed commercial fishermen in the Gulf ... and who like to blame that silly little oil spill for their failures, when it's really poor mothering!
- What an original way to approach Chi Am culture!: the Smithsonian is doing something on Chi Am food. What are they doing? Something ... mumble ... mumble ... zzzzz ... What? What? Mom? ... zzzz ...
- Wikileaks memos about the Lao/American relationship reveal ... exactly nothing that we didn't already know. Again.
- Okay, just deal with this for a second: he recognizes that feminism is a largely white-dominated and privileged movement, and therefore he only dates white women because he only wants to date feminists? That's fucked up! And so says my mom!