Gigi Otalvaro-Hormillosa breaks down the issues surrounding Prop 8 for us all, including:
- Whom "civil rights" belong to (i.e. not just African Americans).
- Who is queer: just white men?
- Why it's actually not okay for black churches involved in the Civil Rights Movement to oppress anyone else.
- Why we need to deal with "our own" dysfunction -- i.e., Latinos and Asians.
- Why everyone needs to advocate for queer rights.
- And how no one is free if anyone is oppressed
While Gigi's video is long, it sort of has to be, because so many
bloggers have been reducing this issue to one or two issues, and Gigi's
point is that this is a conjunction of a number of issues, all of which
have validity, but none of which cancel each other out. Listen to the
whole thing, because the furious Prop 8/PoC debate has been covering or
glossing over a number of issues that are essential to understanding
what is happening.
In case you were wondering, Gigi is a queer, butch, multiracial, Asian, Latina, multidisciplinary performer, cultural worker, and entrepreneur. She is in a loving, long-term partnership in San Francisco, so Prop 8 directly affects her. This video blog is new for her, but I hope she keeps it up. You can follow her on Facebook and MySpace.
Here's a link to the "Open Letter to White Activists" blog post she responds to in her video.